Read and rate Travel Journal Entries for Muswellbrook, New South Wales, Australia

May 7, 2010 - Prep Weaners

This will be my last update from Baramul as I will be leaving on Friday. So finally the horse pictures will stop! This week we have been spending a lot of time with the prep weaners, grooming and walking them to get them ready for sales in three weeks time. We have also been walking some of the stud weaners and loading them onto transport vehicles to move them to different paddocks around the stud. it has been really good fun but also extrememly scary because some of the horses are worth around AU$150,000 which is a lot of money in your...

Jump to full entry

May 2, 2010 - Bathing horses!

If any of you follow Australian racing (unlikely I know) you will have heard that Gerry Harvey has bought a stud in New Zealand and has proceeded to send a lot of mares there- from Baramul and our partner stud Broombee. We have sent 22 mares already and are just preparing the second lot of 36 to go. We moved all the mares into a different paddock about a week ago and before they leave to get on the plane all the mares must have bloods taken, have drawings done to verify that they are the correct horse, be washed to remove any plant seeds,...

Jump to full entry

Apr 9, 2010 - Rodeo and Cows

A couple of weeks ago I went to the rodeo- as it was dark I didn't get very good photos but the ones I have will give you an idea of what the atmosphere was like. It was really good fun, there were bucking horses, bucking bulls and cowboys trying to rope steers then throw them to the ground! The cows have featured prominently in my life for the past couple of weeks because they have moved onto the road near Bluegums. It is calving season over here so there are plenty of calves running around and they are extremely cute. I was lucky enough...

Jump to full entry

Mar 19, 2010 - The Horse Dentist

This week the vet came to grind down the mares' teeth which apparently helps them to eat better. She had a device to hold their mouths open and their heads up. Unfortunately for the last two horses we had to move to a different crush and Rachel and I had to hold the mares' heads up. They are extremely heavy and must be sedated for the procedure. We have had to put down a yearling and a weaner due to injury. I have had no more injuries and my bruises have now gone. Since Thursday we have had twelve weaners in boxes to be prepared for...

Jump to full entry

Mar 6, 2010 - Boots

Last weekend Uli and I drove to Greta-a small town which is near to Newcastle. We went to a saddlery there to look for cowboy boots. Thankyou to everyone who sent me money for my birthday- I put it towards a pair which are shown in the picture. Then on Monday I was kicked by a weaner (one of the most expensive in the stud-his mum Savannah Success is insured for AU$5,000,000) in the chest. I was kncked over backwards and scraped my arm on the ground. Luckily I didn't break any bones and didn't have to take any time off work. On Thursday a...

Jump to full entry

Feb 19, 2010 - After Branding and frogs on floats

I thought I'd explain a bit more about what happens after branding. I took some pictures of foals at different stages after branding so you'd get an idea of what I'm talking about. Once the brand is taken off the skin is raised but not burnt or visibly damaged, after 5 minutes this fades and you cannot tell that the foal has been branded. After a day or so the skin becomes raised again and after a further couple of days begins to peel away leaving scabs. Once this wound heals the hair grows back, but as the skin has been scarred the hair is...

Jump to full entry

Feb 12, 2010 - My Birthday!

On the 11th after work Tara let me ride her horse Chevy so there are some pictures of me riding. Afterwards we went to Appletree and Nick and Aaron had a go at dancing the Haka for all of us. On my 19th birthday I worked as usual. In the morning I was mucking out boxes and turfed a box. In the afternoon we were branding foals so I was leading mares. After work I was surprised with a cake, Diddi, Julia and Jess sang to me and I blew out some candles. Diddi and Uli got me a really nice bracelet. Kareoke was on in Sandy Hollow, the nearest...

Jump to full entry

Jan 30, 2010 - Branding

On Friday some of the foals were branded. Paul the manager branded them using freeze branding. They dipped the brands in liquid nitrogen instead of heating them. As far as I'm aware this is because it's a more humane way to brand and this type of branding brings up white hairs instead of burning the skin off. The foals are numbered in order of their birth. There is no no.1 this year as the first foal of the season had to be put down as it had leg problems. One of the mares had to be put down this weekend as she had no cartilage in her knee...

Jump to full entry

Jan 23, 2010 - Baramul-Work hard, play hard

Everyone here works every second weekend, this weekend is my working one, we worked until about 9:30 this morning, I was mucking out at the hospital which is hard work when it's so hot! It was in the forties yesterday and was still 34 degrees at 8:30pm. It's so nice to be able to go back into airconditioned rooms after work. I've managed to get a picture of a map of the stud to give you an idea of what it looks like. My accomodation isn't on the map but is right next to the set of yards called Resort. A new girl called Tara has arrived,...

Jump to full entry

Jan 11, 2010 - A day in my life

This morning I went with Clayton the farrier. I've been warned that he's rude and to ignore him... First we went to some dry mares by Oakleigh barn. I caught and held them while he clipped their hooves. they were all fighting with each other and there was one mare called Accused who is head shy and almost impossible to catch. He showed me a horse hoof bone and explained a little about horse anatomy. After lunch I was working in the hospital when we got a call on the two way saying there was a python in the grain store so we went to see it....

Jump to full entry

Dec 25, 2009 - A Very Aussie Christmas

I had to work Christmas day for a few hours and I was mucking out the hospital. We have an injured race horse in the hospital who really likes it if you stroke his tongue, so i spent Christmas morning stroking a race horse's tongue...very bizarre. In the evening the broodmare manager Rachel had cooked tea for everyone, ham and duck and prawns and mash. It was amazing! Everyone who's working here is really nice, so I had a great night chatting with people. Thankyou everyone who sent me a paperchain link, I had a really good half hour opening...

Jump to full entry

Dec 24, 2009 - Christmas Eve

We worked on Christmas eve from 7-10 and 3-4:30. Louise invited a few people round to Appletree Cottage for tea with the offer of a Pommy (British) Christmas Dinner. And she didn't disappoint, turkey, veg, stuffing and even the complusory brussel sprout each. We had crackers and then we sat outside and played charades. It felt very odd doing this when it was about 25 degrees out. It was a fantastic start to my Aussie Christmas though. Emma

Jump to full entry
Previous -- 0 1  -- Next