Larry & Maureen's Travel Adventures travel blog

Camping Bridal Falls

Fred and Angie in Chilliwack

Summer view in Sechelt

Aaron barbecuing at their new place July 19

Maureen Tonye and Sofie

Sofie and Tonye

Tonye Aaron and Maureen

Music Festival Vancouver




Cliff Gilker Park - July 30






Mission Point

Pat and Steve at Mission Point

Painting ornaments


The cat meets a monkey

Larry and Douglas, son of friends of ours

Rockery in bloom

Garden planted

Start of pole carving by Tony Paul, Master Carver

R-Dome test in the driveway

Campsite Timberline RV at Egmont August 14

For breakfast!

Our campsite

Nearest neighbour

Elk on the road as we were leaving


Powell River ferry terminal

From the dock


Crab in the water

Lots of tent caterpillars this year


Gunner Larry at the Air Force museum in Comox












Goose Spit Park, Comox

Campsite at Seal Bay RV Park, Comox

Salmon Point near Campbell River Aug 18

Campsite at Salmon Point

Beach at Salmon Point







Pizza in the convection oven

Lovely view



Our view of a cruise ship

Tyee fishermen

Tyee fishermen

Dick Murphy Park


Tyee pool


Driftwood Cat

Heading out to the Tyee Pool

Mouth of Campbell River


View from Campbell River Museum Aug 20

At Campbell River Museum


Turkey vulture

Turkey vultures

Memorial bench


Painters Lodge across the bay

On the ferry to Quathiaski Cove on Quadra Island

On the ferry

Quadra Island ferry terminal


Ferry to Cortes Island

Heriot Bay Inn

Lighthouse at Cape Mudge on Quadra Island

Spot prawns for dinner

Accessible trail Elk Falls

Elk Falls





Japanese lunch

Campbell River harbour

Campbell River Harbour

Boat repair

Campbell River sunset

Hummingbird watching Maureen water the garden

Our next camping trip was in early July. We took a week and went to Bridal Falls near Chilliwack. It brought back a lot of memories because we have spent a lot of time at Camperland over the years since 1993. Not much has really changed! We had a nice few days including visiting with friends Fred and Angie who used to live at Pacific Border RV Park and Jamie Scott who used to work for Larry. Of course because it was Bridal Falls, the weather was cloudy with just a little rain.

On July 19, Maureen went over to Vancouver for the weekend. Aaron and Tonye had just move into a new rental house and she wanted to see it. She also met Sofie who is from Mexico and is renting with them as well. It was a fun weekend and Maureen ended up bringing 10 pounds of raspberries back in her suitcase!

Pat and Steve arrived on July 24 for two weeks. Maureen took them to a few easy trails - Cliff Gilker Park and Mission Point - and some other walks. They also got the lawn ornaments painted.

On August 14 we headed out on our next camping trip. Our first night was at Timberline RV in Egmont. We didn't want to have to get up so early for the ferry so we thought we would cut the first leg down a bit. We felt like we were the only ones there. It was a pretty basic site but with full hook-ups. We were treated to a sighting of the local elk herd when we left the campsite in the morning. They're huge! From there we headed to the Earls Cove/Saltery Bay ferry on the 15th. The nights of the 15th, 16th and 17th we stayed at Seal Bay RV Park in Comox. This is part of our membership with Holiday Trails. Also our dear friends Harry and Pam live in Comox so we were able to visit with them quite a bit. We also went to the CFB Comox Air Force Museum which was excellent.

We couldn't get into the campground in Campbell River until the 19th so we drove a whole 25 minutes to Salmon Point RV just south of Campbell River for one night. This campsite is almost ocean front and also has full hook-ups.

On the 19th we drove 20 minutes to Thunderbird RV Park in Campbell River where we stayed for a week. It's within walking distance of a wonderful park and also a mall. We were able to walk/scoot to quite a number of things. We also took in the Campbell River Museum and Elk Falls while we were here. The weather was nice most of the time even though some days it was quite windy. It also rained quite heavy one day. The RV Park is located right by the Tyee Pool. Early every morning lots of little wooden boats made their way out to the Pool to fish for Tyee salmon. This is an excerpt from the Tyee Club website: "The Tyee Club of British Columbia began in 1924 with a group of anglers who returned to Campbell River each year in pursuit of the elusive "Tyee" - a coastal Indian word meaning, "the chief", a Chinook salmon, 30 pounds or larger. Tyee fishing here is different. You'll fish quietly in small, classic row boats." You can motor out to the pool but you must row your boat in the pool - no motors allowed. The current is quite strong here so it's hard work to row in one direction and quite easy in the other direction. The boats were out there at dawn until well after dusk. Word had it that no fish were biting while we were there.

One of the days we were there we took the ferry over to Quathiaski Cove on Quadra Island. We had lunch at the Heriot Bay Inn and checked out a couple of campgrounds near there. Larry knew of a school mate who lived there so we stopped by to say hello to him.

We headed home on August 26th, getting to the ferry in Comox early to ensure that we didn't miss it! The garden needed attention - tomatoes were getting ready. Kelly is working almost full time at the Sechelt Legion now and really enjoying it.

September 24 we left for a week in Las Vegas. Larry had the 45th Anniversary Conference of TravelOnly the agency that Larry sells all his travel through. We stayed the first night at the Marriott in Richmond. We usually stay overnight in town if we can because sometimes the ferry doesn't coordinate with flights! The flight was on September 25 at 11:15 am arriving at 2 pm. Larry had researched taking his own scooter and it worked like a dream! He drives it right to the gate, two guys carried it down and put it in the belly of the aircraft - and at no charge! And it's waiting at the gate right when we get off the plane. Check-in for the conference was at 3 pm. We discovered 50 cent beers from 5 to 6 pm at the Bird Bar at the Flamingo. We could sit outside and people watch for an hour. We had pizza for dinner at the Food Court at Caesar's Palace, where we were staying.

On the 26th Maureen walked to Fashion Show while Larry was at his conference. Dinner had been arranged at Hell's Kitchen. It was a bit disappointing - very noisy and ended up being disorganize because a lot of people didn't show up. We shared scallops and Caesar salad, had a Beef Wellington each and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It was extremely expensive at $257.50 USD.

On the 27th Maureen walked the other direction all the way to New York New York. The blocks are very long in Vegas!

On the 28 was the Gala Dinner which Maureen was able to go to. Chicken again for Larry. Larry won a $500 WestJet certificate.

On the 29th we had a meet and greet with a supplier - two cinnamon buns and two coffees were $23 at Caesar's! Ridiculous prices there. The 29th and 30th were basically scooting/walking days - we found two different Keno bars finally. October 1 Supershuttle picked us up at 11:20 am. Our flight was at 2:45, arriving at 5:15. Air Canada was great with handling the scooter. We had dinner at the White Spot on Georgia Street in Vancouver and caught the 9:20 ferry. Home at 10:30 pm. Whew! Barely time to do laundry before the next trip.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |