Summer 2019 travel blog

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Sunday May 12

Before bidding Julian farewell, we wandered around the flea market located by the park near the harbour. They were selling all sorts of tatt – fun seeing what people have collected over the years and think they can off load.

Monday May 13

While Gen went in search of an electronics shop, I wandered off to see the catacombs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombe_dei_Cappuccini - amazing – shame couldn’t take photos but hopefully this link will give you an idea: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=palermo+catacombs&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwje_I2lnKXiAhVtRhUIHdVrD6MQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1519&bih=691

Tuesday May 14

After completing final provisioning we left Palermo and headed for an anchorage to the north in preparation for our passage to Sardinia.

Wednesday May 15

Gen’s birthday – mid morning left the anchorage and headed for the island Ustica. Got a lovely sail in which is a bonus. Ustica is a nature reserve so no anchorages just a small fishing harbour where you can stay. We found the quayside empty so med moored to it with help from some locals taking our lines. Didn’t go ashore as we will explore the little village tomorrow. http://www.visitsicily.info/en/10cosea/ustica/

Thursday May 16 – Saturday May 18

In the early hours of the morning we had a huge thunderstorm directly above us and a massive down pour of rain. Then the wind had changed and we had some strong gusts and swell coming in from the south which was very uncomfortable. Our anchor dragged so we ended up hitting the quayside a number of times – not good. Even though we tried to come off being too close to the quayside the anchor was not holding. So decision to leave and start our next passage a day early. When picking up the anchor we had a large/think mooring line attached to it.

So, left the quayside before 6am and headed for Sardinia, the Costa Smeralda. We didn’t have favourable winds for a while but eventually we got a good sail in.

Late Friday evening while we were motor sailing, Gen noticed that the engine was not ejecting water so immediately turned off the engine and then we proceeded to sail. At around 10pm, 8 or so miles from our destination he was in the engine compartment changing the impeller. Engine would not start so we had to sail to the anchorage and anchor under sail – which we did well, although there wasn’t enough wind to manoeuvre to assess if the anchor had dug in. This is at 1am Saturday.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |