Spain and Portugal travel blog

We had great plans for our last day in Barcelona which started off with an early start to Park Guell, the park designed by Gaudi with among other things wild mosaic sculptures. But our neighbors had other plans and started partying around midnight and it went on until 4 a.m. when we finally got to sleep. We thought we had gotten up at 8:30 but it turns out Spain went into daylight savings time overnight and it was now 9:30. So much for an early start. And it turns out the park is under renovation and all the mosaic sculptures are covered up except for one.

So we scrapped that and headed out for what was next on our list--take the metro to the finicular up to Montjuic Castle (great views of the city) and then walk over to the grounds of the Catalan Art Museum (again great views, beautiful fountains, and a rooftop terrance). First we had trouble getting out of the elevator in our building. Next we discovered that the finicular was closed but there was a special bus operating that would take us up to the top of the finicular. We planned on taking the #150 bus to the castle from there, but the roads were closed to traffic until 2:30 due to a bicycle race. Again there was supposed to be a special bus to go the castle but it never came. So at this point we decided to have lunch at what turned out to be a lovely restaurant with a great view of the city. We had two Catalonian specials--a stew of noodles, sausages, and short ribs and cannellonis stuffed with 3 kinds of shredded meats vs. ground meat as in Italian cannellonis--and great sangria.

Coming out of the restaurant we saw a taxi unloading his passengers, grabbed it and he took us to the castle (road was now open). Great views and lovely grounds but decided to skip the castle as the line was pretty long. Then we headed out to walk to the museum with Rick Steve's map in hand. We didn't have much luck with the map but we did finally find the museum. But, of course, by now it was closed (they close at 3 on Sundays and by now it was about 5) so no rooftop terrace and the fountains were not running. They only run on Friday and Saturdays until May. But we did enjoy the park and the views.

By now, as you can imagine, we are pretty tired with all the walking and not getting much sleep so it was back to the metro and home. A little happy hour and then out to dinner. We thought we had seen a nice little tapas place across the street but it turned out not to be a restaurant. So we went back to the Italian restaurant we had eaten at our first night for more mushroom pizza, an amazing caprese salad with basil ice cream, and the 2.5 Euro wine. After dinner we wanted to work on our blog but when I turned on the light in the dining room, it blew a fuse and we were in the dark. Found the fuse box and with some help from the rental agency we got power back and decided we should just go to bed. We'll pack in the morning. JB

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |