A New Chapter...for awhile travel blog

Inside Park Guell, another Gaudi design

He sure liked to use lumpy, bumpy things in his architecture

This is supposed to look like a wave. Do you see it?...

Some ceiling mosaic work

A bit of seafood and other assorted goodies

Some non-Gaudi architecture as we start our sailboat adventure

Lisa was fine in the beginning but by the end of the...

Pulling into the port at the halfway point of the journey. The...

Fireworks from our 23rd floor vantage point

Quite the view from up here ain't it?

Saturday the 22nd was a busy day of walking and sailing and fireworks. We had an early tour at the Park Güell, a public park with odd architecture – thanks again to Antoni Gaudí – and gardens. Since the weather was steamy and overcast it wasn’t the best day to visit, but since we were cramming lots of sightseeing into our limited time, we made the best of it.

From the park we grabbed what may have already been our 64th cab ride of the trip and eventually made it to the marina for some lunch at Marina Bay – not to be confused with the one in Fort Lauderdale – after a short visit to the casino where Michele was the big winner of the day. After a pretty good meal – indoors and again fly-free – it was time for us to search the marina for our next mode of transportation for the day, a sailboat ride on the Mediterranean Sea. The trip was good with Dave playing captain for most of the journey and Michele, Lisa and Ken deciding to take a swim. It was rougher than they expected so they struggled to get back in the boat, but now they can all say they have dog paddled the Med.

The trip took us north along the coast to the next marina, then after a short sightseeing drive past the yachts and ferries there, we headed back to our dock. Cab ride #76 took us back to the hotel for some much needed showers before we all met Lisa and Ken’s cousin who surprisingly was in town for a wedding, at the Tapas restaurant for a bit.

After they headed out we all walked around the corner and back to the 23rd floor and the Sangria Bar to watch some fireworks and so Ken could catch up with two girls that he had met – cousins, one from England and one from Ireland – on the tour the night before. We finally left there about 1am and despite the warnings, we all made our way safely back to the hotel via the seedy side streets of Barcelona.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |