our 2018 adventure travel blog

Submarine pen


storm brewing

morning calm













Friday 31 August

Thankfully the strong winds did not materialise and no we were well dug in in mud and weed. Left mid morning and headed out of the bay and anchored in a very pretty little bay near Molat on Otok Molat. The waters here are crystal clear and provide great snorkelling.

Gen free dived and cleaned the prop off all the barnacles.

Saturday 1 September

At 5am we enjoyed, not, a thunderstorm – needed to get up and bring in the washing and put away our awning. We registered 36 knots of wind but we were nicely dug in so not going anywhere.

We were intending on staying at the anchorage for another night but decided to push on in the afternoon. On our way we came alongside one of the submarine pens near Dumboka on Otok Dugi. Gen went and had a look, I just found it a bit too eerie.

We could have stayed but decided to push on and ended up anchoring on Otok Iz. Watched thunderstorms all around us and the watched the howling wind come upon us from next to nothing and then registering 31 knots. Good holding so we didn’t drag which was good. In a space of half an hour we went from thunder and lighting almost 360 degrees around us to a clear starry sky.

Sunday 2 September

Undertook a fairly long passage which included going between the Kornati National Park and Otok Zut. And surprisingly enough we got an hours of pure sailing in, our third in over 2 ½ months.

Anchored in a pretty bay 2 miles from Murter.

Around 8:30pm after hoping that the surrounding thunderstorms would pass us by we got the increase in wind and we ended up dragging the anchor pretty badly. So into the gale and rain, we needed to up anchor pretty quickly and consider where to reanchor. Not great fun when there’s no light other than lightning. Anyways, we ended up reanchoring about 30 meters from where we originally were and then the wind subsided. Thankfully we have technology which alerts us to when we are dragging.

Monday 3 September

Moved a couple of miles and anchored off Murter. Went ashore for provisioning and relaxing.

Tuesday 4 September

After completing some more provisioning we up’ed anchor and headed for Sibenik. We had a look at the town from the water which was very interesting. We tried a number of different anchorages at the mouth of the river but all were very deep. Then we had a bit of a mishap, which I wont go into details here about, but we ended up loosing steering – big problem. So Gen towed us to the top of one of the bays and we anchored in shallow water. Preparing ourselves for the possibility of a thunderstorm (and not having steerage) we put out a second anchor and a kedge, making sure we were secure.

Wednesday 5 September

Today was spent making sure we had steerage. Thankfully Gen had all the equipment needed to fix the problem.

Thursday 6 September

It took us over an hour to lift the 3 anchors after which we under a short passage to another lovely anchorage.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |