Shearwin's in Europe 2018 travel blog

Centre Square Lisbon

The busy Main Street of Lisbon

The Castelo Lisbon

A 0630 hr rise for a final breakfast at 0815 hrs and we were off to Lisbon at 0850 hrs.

Having refueled at the airport roundabout we returned the car to Avis and deposited our bags in the airports baggage storage room.

To explore the inner area of Lisbon we took the red line metro to Alameda, changing to the green line and exiting at Baia Chiado. We wandered the streets note a number of unique older stores with distinctive decorations; they appeared to be unique to Portugal.

We explored the water front around the statue of Don Jose 1 and many of the streets supporting shopping and eating.; they were prolific and of a high standard. Kaye bought herself a new pair of jeans. Many of the restaurants were just starting to set up, however, after our breakfast we were not eating.

We eventually made our way to Castelo de Sao Jorge up winding steep streets; the forts were all placed on the top of the highest hill obviously designed to discouraged future generation tourists. This 11th century Moorish Castle has commanding views of the river and the city and offers an education in a different form of defense for such fortifications.

The obligatory wine stop was made in the Castelo’s garden which is reputed to be the only remaining green space garden in Lisbon with the primary native species of Portuguese forests; cork trees plus.

We finally wandered downhill and back to metro for the return trip arriving at the airport at 1530hrs; a 45 min trip with transfers.

Still too early for our flight, we returned to the quiet of our first stay in the Lisbon, the Star Hotel for a wine. We were back at the terminal at 1700hrs for our 1905 hrs departure with Vueling Airlines.

If a day can go from a good high to the lowest of lows for all our travel experiences it was all to start now. Our plane was not on time and for the next two and a half hours we were in limbo as to what was happening. We eventually departed at 2200 hrs for CDG and not Orly, the 2330 hrs curfew had been imposed. Transport from CDG to Orly was by bus and then by shuttle to our Ibis ( not the cheap one ) hotel. We were in bed by 0300hrs tired but finding that it was the Adrenalin still driving everything. To add to the misery of the last part of this day, we were allocated the smallest of rooms we have ever stayed in; the bathroom was even smaller and every aspect was cheap; the toilet paper taking first place. It was not until next morning we noticed the room also had a fold away single bed; no idea who’s imagination that was.

It was only sleep that pulled the curtains on the day.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |