We're taking a year off to travel! travel blog



Black Cat Squadron

Inside the cafe

Inside the cafe

Pilot and Co-pilot

The first couple of days were sunny and a bit warmer. So I put on a pot of beans in the crockpot and we took a drive to Fairhope on Mobile Bay. It is a pretty little touristy town on the water across from Mobile, Alabama. There was definite evidence of hurricane damage here with some washed out areas and others being rehabbed. We took advantage of the sunshine to walk the beach for a bit. I wanted to get some pictures and had not had much opportunity previously with the rain. I do not necessarily like swimming in the ocean but can walk the beach and gaze at the water for hours.

We tried to walk around our RV park at least once per day, so I took the opportunity to meed the lady who had done the baskets in the office. I hoped to persuade her to teach me how to do it and she readily agreed. Class was set for the weekend.

The following day we arranged to meet Gary and Jan (our sister in law's brother and his wife) in Pensacola for lunch the next day. We met at a seafood restaurant on the water. I tried mullet for the first time and was NOT impressed. The others all enjoyed their meals. After lunch we made arrangements to meet again in a couple of days to go through the Naval Aviation Museum.

The next day was when I had scheduled my class. I found the basket weaving to be fairly simple so soon returned to the RV with a new skill. Now if I can only find the time to pursue it! with the double handful of pine needles I have stashed in with my other craft supplies.

Lisa, one of our good friends from Calhan, had just moved fairly close to where we were, so we made plans to have her over for dinner the next evening. It was fun to see her again. The last time I remember seeing her was when we parted ways at a rest stop on the interstate in Kansas; she was headed to Idaho and I was going to see my youngest boy. She is an excellent photographer and had begun posting some gorgeous pics of the water on facebook. This was how I knew she had moved!

Our final day, we drove again to Pensacola to meet Gary and Jan and Jan's brother at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I had been there before many years ago (I think 40 or so) so was amazed at the improvements. It was huge!! And very complete. There were many planes inside the museum, on the floor and suspended from the ceiling. I was particularly interested in the PBYs since that is the plane my dad flew in the war. They even had a special plaque talking about his former unit, the Black Cat Squadron. Another thing of great interest was a plaque commemorating the Choctaw Indian code talkers from WWI. I had always thought that the Navajo were the first, but it appears that the Choctaw paved the way with as great success as did the Navajo. We had lunch at the museum in the Cubi Bay cafe. This was more than a replica as the original had been dismantled piece by piece and brought to the states, complete with all the various memorabilia in the original. We just had time afterwards to do a quick visit to Fort McRee before going our separate ways.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |