Spain, Portugal and Morocco travel blog

Another gorgeous sunshiny day and we stroll up Las Ramblas to Catalunya Placa and catch the red bus to drive a second time through the grand architecture of downtown Barcelona. We see the Renfre Sants Estacio were we arrived in Barcelona on Sunday. We pass the unique light standards of Parc Espania Industriales and carry on to the waterfront past the Bull Ring, now a shopping mall and up the hill to Palau Nationale de Montjuic. We disembarked and walked to the National Palace above the Fonte Magica. The view out over Barcelona is spectacular. The fountains are on! But only from 12 noon to one. We descend the stairs along side man-made waterfalls and fountains heading toward the main spectacular fountain we had watched from a bridge as it changed colors at night. Unfortunately we stopped for a snack...calamari...before descending the last level. It was just after one as we passed the biggest and color-changing fountain. So we have pics from on high only.

We walked down the street of supporting fountains to the Venetian styled red square pillars and crossed to the Bull Ring. We ascended in a glass elevator to the observation deck. Fantastic views. Another delight was the numerous restaurants around the deck. We chose one serving a hot and cold selection of tapas. This topped off with Catalunyan Crema was lunch. Escalators inside took us back down through huge supporting beams to ground level.

This time the red bus took us back up the hill past our former stop and down to the port. We got off at La Barcelonia and walked along the waterfront past shops, restaurants, sandy beaches and surfers to Port Olympic. Back on the bus it was a short ride back past the Placa El Gotic to Placa Catalunya. By now it was past 4p.

We dropped off Gord's backpack, changed into warmer clothes and went out to people watch and tapas with wine. Back at the sidewalk restaurant on Las Ramblas in the same seat we ate as we watched those who rushed by with a purpose in mind and those who ambled stopping to look at menues, checking others out or strolling hand in hand. We said hello to the same rose salesmen as last night. Our waiter was the same. We were joined by a Finnish gentleman and his daughter. An interesting man. His daughter said little and was bored.

At 8p we went for a walk down 'our' street past the hostel. Several blocks later we stopped at a pub for a nightcap. James and Rosy Andrews were there from just outside of Birmingham, England. And he and Gord chatted till almost 1a. With much laughter.

Getting up early to be ready to check out was hard. After check out we went to Catalunya Placa and took the Aeroporto Bus to terminal one. We checked in and got boarding passes....a good thing as there was a slight problem with Gord's ticket now remedied. We caught the shuttle to the airport hotel. At 4a we leave for the flights home.

Amazing how fast these two months have flown by!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |