Lynn & David travelling from Turkmenistan through the Caucasus to Turkey travel blog

Lynn and the Turkish flag

Leaving Marmaris, Turkey

David swimming, Turkey

Quiet bay, Turkey

Lynn on the gulet, Turkey

The distant view from the gulet, Turkey

Lynn on boat, Turkey

The Junior Kerem, Marmaris to Fethiye, Turkey

Tuesday 31st May 2016

Marmaris then sailing

Woke up this morning and had breakfast at 8:00am, then a briefing about safety and the itinerary. At about 9:30am, we set off out of the harbour and travelled towards the spot where we anchored in a beautiful quiet bay called Ekincik Bay which had amazingly clear water. Apart from swimming, relaxing on the day bed, reading and generally doing nothing were the order of the day. There is nothing to do and so that's what we did. David did swim a little but once Lynn had tested the temperature with one foot she declared it was way too cold. The English even thought it chilly but they did all swim. Lunch was at around 12:30pm and the relaxing continued for the rest of the day until evening, including afternoon coffee and biscuits. Later we had a very pleasant dinner on the deck and chatted until late. Back to our cabin then to bed around 11:30pm. Beautiful day, sunny and around 27C.

Wednesday 1st June 2016

Sailing on the gulet off Southern Turkey's islands

We were awoken this morning by the gulet’s engine starting at about 5:00am, although we went back to sleep until about 7:30am. Breakfast was at 8:30am and like yesterday, it was fresh juice, coffee, eggs (today was omelette, yesterday was boiled eggs), tomato, cheese cold meat and bread. We moored in a different bay called Cleopatra Bay this morning and before lunch, David went for a swim to the shore and back. The water was quite cold and Lynn didn't swim, but the day was fine, sunny and about 28-29C. The bays we are travelling through are very rugged and quite beautiful, the water is deep and crystal clear. Because it is early in the summer season, there are not many yachts here but we imagine that it could be more crowded when it is high summer. Lunch was very nice and we sat around on the gulet, while the other people on the boat swam to shore and viewed some ruins nearby. All the people are quite nice and friendly, all British used to travelling. In the afternoon, we sailed again to another bay called Kizilkuyruk and later moved to a bay near Domuz Island and stopped for the night. As it was our last night (the English are staying for 7 days) we treated it like a farewell dinner and all had a great time together having fun and laughing.

Thursday 2nd June 2016

Sailing on the gulet then Fethiye to Antalya, Turkey

The weather was fine and warm again today and we set off from our overnight anchorage to cross the bay to the town of Fethiye. We were dropped off at the end of a very long quay that was surrounding a large marina. The captain assisted us to the shore and we met our transfer driver who took us to the bus terminal where we picked up our tickets for the bus trip to Antalya, about 3 hours away. We again sat in the front seats and had a great view of the whole journey, once more with ice cream and coffee refreshments. We went over the mountains and then down to the sea at Antalya, a city of over 3 million people on the rugged southern coastline of Turkey, set high up on cliffs. We were met at the bus station by another driver who took us by mini bus to our hotel in the old town. We checked into the hotel Alp Pasa, a beautiful room, then went out for a walk to explore the area. Then back to the hotel for dinner and bed. Fine all day, temperature up to around 29C.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |