Di and Pete's 2014 Oz Adventure travel blog

Abandoned dog before his bath

Little dog being bathed and de-ticked

After the bath

After the bath

Sue, Nettie and Di with rescued dogs (front) & Sue's two dogs...

Derby Wharf at low tide

Derby Wharf at high tide

Pete on Derby golf course

Pete on Derby golf course

Di on Derby golf course

Di and Nettie at Derby Prison Boab Tree

Derby - Di relaxing in pool

We headed towards Halls Creek got some supplies and then onto Mary Pool where we stayed on our last trip. There we crossed paths with campers we had preciously met, Sue in the 5th wheeler and Nettie in the motorhome, both travelling alone, very courageous I think.

There were lots of cows in the camping area which I like, some have very pretty faces. It was so dry and dusty there and the Mary River had very little water, we decided we'd only stay the night. Pete and I went for a walk out onto the dry river bed and around the camp area, I started heading to check out the toilets and Pete said 'oh my god'. There was a middle-aged man sitting directly in front of us at his van, he was starkers. I didn't notice a thing but Pete got a full view as the man stood up. When I looked he'd sat down again and it was a blurrr (thank heavens).

We later found out they were nudist and the family of four happily walk around the camp area naked. Each to their own but I think they were exhibitionist. It would be very offensive to some people. What really got up our noses was that they had their generator running nonstop including all night. Luckily we weren't right next to them but others were. We left the next morning and hoped they were travelling in the opposite direction to us.

We only travelled down the road about 58 kilometres to Larrawa Nature Stay, it's on a working station. There was water, hot showers and toilets and that's all we needed. On our arrival I asked the owner (Wendy) if they get any nudist because the sign says nature stay. She smiled and said actually she was asked the same question by the official giving the final inspection of the camp area. She said 'no' and the official turned and pointed to a backpacker walking across the camp area to the showers in the raw. Luckily he saw the funning side of things and just suggested Wendy might think of different wording for her signage on the gate.

Sue and Nettie also arrived and we all spent a couple of days there. We all went on a kilometre walk down to the river and watched a lovely sunset over the bush. The station owners wife was very friendly and helpful and their young dog 'Morse' loved coming over and visiting. He loved one of Sue's dogs and wouldn't leave her alone.

It was pretty hot and we used the shower to cool ourselves during the day. The wind came up and blow like crazy during the night, it felt like we were eating dust. I felt like I was becoming a fanatical housewife continuously sweeping and washing the floor. Thank heavens it was a passing phase.

We all left around the same time and were heading to Ngumban Cliff Rest Area to have a look and possibly camp the night. We pulled in and Nettie also arrived in her motorhome. Two little dogs greeted us and they were in a bad shape. We gave them water and some food and discussed how they came to be there in the middle of nowhere. There was a cattle station in the distance but we think they had been abandoned. We couldn't take them with us but we all felt sick. We made sure they had plenty of water and then left. I wanted to cry and felt so guilty for leaving them, I just hoped someone would come back for them.

As we were leaving Sue arrived and we told her about the dogs and to take care if she lets her dogs out as the two dumped dogs could have anything.

We continued on to Fitzroy Crossing where we fuelled up and grabbed some food. Sue happened to pull in to where we were parked and informed us that she had the abandoned dogs on board. She'd been in contact with the Ranger from Fitzroy Crossing who said he would keep the dogs for two days then they would be put down if no one claimed them and chances are they would be put down. On hearing this Sue contacted a dog rescue group in Broome and was high tailing to Broome with the dogs.

We decided we would travel with Sue to Ellendale Rest Area where we would all camp the night. So off we set in convoy, a caravan, a 5th wheeler and a motorhome. After arriving at the camp we setup to wash the dogs, it soon became a massive job as the poor little dogs were covered in ticks. Pete removed around eighty ticks off each dog and those dear little dogs didn't complain once. We all felt sick watching, Sue and Nettie took turns in killing the ticks. I couldn't stomach crushing ticks so instead I comforted the younger dog waiting for her treatment. Luckily the ticks in WA aren't like the paralysis ticks on the eastern seaboard but having so many ticks would definitely effect the dogs health.

Both dogs appeared happier after their baths and looked a lot better but still needed a lot more care. In the morning the little female dog escaped several times from their pen, Pete had the job of bringing her back, she just wanted to visit another dog at the free camp.

After breakfast the convoy moved on again and travelled together to the junction of the Great Northern and Derby Highways, we pulled into a rest area and said our goodbyes to the little dogs, Sue and her dogs Henry and Milly. We hope the little dogs get a second chance and find a good home.

Sue and the dogs turned towards Broome and Nettie, Pete and I turned towards Derby. We have since heard from Sue and she told us that the dogs have been put into foster care and that the carer's removed thirty plus more ticks off each dog. Sue met the carers and said they are lovely people who love the two little dogs. We hope they find them new homes after they recover.

We stayed in Derby for a week at a caravan park that don't allow kids but allow dogs. That didn't affect us as we had neither. It's a small park with a pool which we frequently used to cool down and relax as it was very hot and not having to share it with happy, playful, loud kids was a bonus. (Oh dear we are showing our age)

We visited the Derby Wharf renowned for the extreme tides, its a nice spot to watch the sunset but unfortunately the midges also love the sunsets and come out to play with humans and we were on their menu, it was our worst attack so far, rotten midges.

Pete and I played our first golf game for this trip. We hit off early because of the heat and had a great game amongst the Boabs, it's a lovely grass course, so green and fresh, not what you'd expect in this arid landscape. By the time we finished the temperature had rises dramatically, there's no way we could have played 18 holes. We were grateful for the pool at the caravan park to cool down.

It sure is a small world, the acting managers of the caravan park Phil and Karen have a son who just happens to live across the road from us back home, it's amazing. We had a BBQ with them one night plus Pete and Phil had a game of golf together. I had some me time. (win win)

Whilst in Derby we went to the markets, showed Nettie the Boab goal tree and looked at the wetlands plus a few trips to the wharf, but what we did mostly was relax and enjoy the pool. Our next destination is Broome where we will once again see Sue.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |