Vera's Peru Adventure 2013 travel blog

Annie's last night - with me and Maggie at our most frequented...

Looking over Cusco's rooftops as a storm made its way over town.

Santiago. Well, a bit of it.

Nice shops and eateries.

I gotta say… lovin’ Santiago so far and it’s only been a couple of hours.

I was ready to celebrate my final days in Urubamba this week. Yup… gotta go to my last salsa class there and then maybe onto a nightclub. Hmm. Instead, I went out to lunch with Maggie on Wednesday and something didn’t agree with me. I felt ‘off’, but still went to salsa, only to find that there was no salsa lesson this week because the teacher was sick.

OK… went out for a drink to a bar I hadn’t been to before. But, was feeling more and more ‘off’. Headed home and then projectile vomited at 2.00am and 4.00am. (I’m sure you really wanted to know that, didn’t you?)

That’s probably the most sick I’ve been on this trip. And actually, that’s the worst vomiting I can remember in all my life!

That put me in a pretty awful state on Thursday – the day I was meant to be cleaning and finalising my packing. Instead, I pretty much just stayed in bed. No food all day. But by the evening, I knew I had to eat something. Plus, let’s face it, I had cabin-fever after being confined to my tiny apartment for over 24 hours.

So, off to dinner with Maggie where I had steak, egg and chips. I don’t even eat steak! But clearly I needed it. And I managed to keep it down.

Having slept most of Thursday, I woke up at 4.00am on Friday full of energy and back to being myself. So, cleaning started around 4.30am and by 8.00am I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with myself because I could only check into the Cusco hotel at 11.00. An empanada later, and after dropping off some laundry for use by the next tenant, I made my way into Cusco.

That afternoon, I caught up with Gerry, my volunteering friend, and we went to a rooftop bar and watched a massive storm make its way over Cusco. Very beautiful.

By the time I got back to the hotel, Maggie had also made her way into Cusco as we were going to go out for another of our salsa nights. We went out to dinner then back to our favourite salsa lesson place. Only problem was that by this stage, we were both soooooo tired. We each danced with the instructor - but badly. The week before, he had complimented me by saying how I must have Latin blood as I dance like a Latina. On Friday… not so much of a Latina. More like 2 lead feet. Oh well. We can’t all be brilliant dancers all the time!

We still managed to stay out quite late and I think I got to bed around 1.00 or 2.00am. I can tell you that I was not very pleased when my phone rang at 4.30am! (Yeah, thanks for that, Irene!!!)

Saturday was my long travel day to Santiago, Chile. So, on 2.5 hours sleep, I made my way to the airport – all good. But, this time my check in was a little different. I had the police (not Customs) check my bag – that is, take me and my checked-in luggage to their little office where the (cute) policeman went through all my stuff. I wasn’t worried of course – I am so very much anti-drugs so there’s nothing they’d ever find on me. It did help fill in 20 minutes of my long wait time (I was early), so that was a nice diversion to have. He also complimented me on how well locked up my bag was. He was impressed!

Thankfully, the flights to Santiago were uneventful – always a good thing!

I did have a great big smile on my face when I made my way through the airport in Santiago. It was 1.00am and they were playing KISS (Crazy Nights) through the PA system. Honestly. There’s nothing like KISS music to just lift your mood. It must have worked on all their staff too as they were the friendliest airport personnel I’ve ever come across (Immigration and Customs smiling and friendly!)

My transfer driver was dutifully waiting for me and I got to my hotel around 2.00am. Once he started speaking I was reminded of the very different accent/pronunciation of Spanish the Chileans have. Aj-jaj-jaj… This will be a bit more challenging than Peru.

Anyway, the night shift receptionist was new and couldn’t work out which room I was to be in. He dilly-dallied around for ages, even went into someone else’s room (accidently). “Oh… sorry”. In the end he had to phone someone to work it out.

Now that it’s daylight, I can say that the hotel is very cute. Small. An old Colonial house that’s been converted. Very bright and airy. Lovely neighbourhood that is walking distance to San Cristobal. And very friendly staff.

I’ve been out for walks a couple of times and for lunch. I’ve checked out the tours I want to do with Alex as well, so they are being organised as I type. I think I’ll be chilling out for the rest of the day because I’ve had so little sleep this week. And tomorrow morning, I’m heading back to the airport to collect Alex! Hopefully she is going to love it here as much as I do!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |