October 26-28, 2013 – Livingston to Goliad, Texas
I got away fairly early on Saturday. I got to Goliad State Park about 3. The drive is a hard one because there is no way to get to the south part of Texas from Livingston except through Houston. The traffic was fairly heavy but not nearly what it would have been if I had to come through on a week day. The weather was clear so I didn’t have to worry about road conditions which helped.
When I got here, the campground was almost full. I was glad that I had made a reservation. There was only one empty spot left on the campground loop I was on out of 20 spaces. I don’t know about the other loops but they are mostly tents so I couldn’t have stayed on any of them. There are 5 shelters on this loop. They are basically 4 walls and a roof. The windows are screen wire. They are furnished with a picnic table. You bring your own furnishings. They have electric hookups and water. It would be better than being in a tent when it was raining. There were 6 spaces taken up by tents which housed a Cub Scout troop. I was next to one of their spots and across from another. I was a little surprised that there were tents in the area which is designed for trailers and motor homes. I was also a little concerned that they might be noisy, but they weren’t.
Yesterday (27th), I did laundry and spent the day reading. When I got up about 7:30, shortly after the sun came up, half of the dozen or more Cub Scout tents were already down. They were packed and gone before 8. By 11, there were only the 2 camp hosts and 3 other trailers and me left in the campground. About 6, 2 motor homes showed up and got parked. They were traveling together and had adjacent sites. They also had a car, a pickup truck, and a pickup towing a car on a trailer. There were about a dozen people in the group.
Today, I’m enjoying the quiet of the campground and doing some more reading. The group which came in last night took an hour and a half to get packed up this morning. They were carrying bedding out of the motor homes and packing into the cars and pickups. They must have been splitting up when they left here.
It turned out to be a good thing that I left Livingston when I did. They had bad storms up in that area. I had intended to go to Corpus Christie to check out some campgrounds for next winter, but I decided I couldn’t do much in a heavy rainstorm with 40-50 mile per hour winds. I could have gone today, but it is a work day, and I would have to contend with a lot of traffic. Besides, I’m enjoying the quiet of the campground. Corpus is a nice day trip from Livingston, so I’ll do it sometime this winter when I want to get out and do something. Anyway, I’m not sure that I want to be on the coast because of the wind and sand. I think I might prefer to be over around San Antonio. I’ll check that out sometime this winter as well.
Tonight, I emptied the black and gray water and got the car hooked up. In the morning, I’ll just have to unplug from the electric and unhook from water. I hope to get a fairly early start as I want to stop by the RV repair place to get Joliffe inspected. His sticker runs out in November, but I don’t want to move the coach once I get it parked for the winter. I also have a couple of small things which need to be fixed. If I can get there by noon or thereabouts, I should be able to get it all done. I have to be at the campground by 5 to get registered. If they aren’t going to get done in time for me to get there before 5, I’ll take the car and get registered. Then, I can come in later with the coach. Or, if they can’t get it done and have to work on it the next day, I’ll stay at the garage. They have a campground with water and electric so it is no big deal if I have to stay.