The Clayton's Travels travel blog

French dejeuner

Taken on our walk in Arcis sur Aube

On Friday we travelled about 3 hours to Arcis sur Aube through miles and miles of flat agricultural land. At one point all we could see 180° in front of us was the flat horizon and huge sky – no trees or animals in sight. The land is mostly unfenced, various shades of green interspersed with big patches of ploughed earth. Where there were fences at the sides of the motorway, there were the odd hawks or falcons sitting, but we saw no cattle or sheep the whole trip. There are no tour buses either! We paid two lots of tolls, €12.40 and €8.50 on the way. We found our campsite, Camping La Barbuise (N48°27'58" E4°7'38") N 48°27'58" E 4°7'38" about 8km south of Arcis in a very rural setting. We were the only campers for the two nights we stayed – we sited ourselves and the owner called by the first evening for cash (very cheap at €9 per night but only 4amp hook-up).

On Saturday we drove into town, parked in a truck stop near to town and walked in to see the sights – not much to see and few shops were open but we had a look around the Carrefour and Aldi supermarkets before walking back to Homer after a couple of hours, and returned to camp. It blew a gale during the night – Homer was rocking! but there was little rain.

This morning we set off for another 3 hour drive and after passing by Troyes we drove through undulating country with more interesting scenery, forests, and rivers, cattle in the fields and nearby villages. We by-passed Dijon and after paying €25.30 on exiting 180km of really good motorway, came to our campsite, Camping L’Arquebuse (N47°11'54", E5°22'52") just on the outskirts of the small town of Auxonne. It was about 2pm but there was no-one at reception so we sited ourselves and hooked-up, had a bit of lunch, and then walked into town along the riverbank and over the bridge. It was very quiet on a Sunday afternoon, but after walking along the main streets and around the old Notre Dame church in the square we stopped by a pub for a beer and a wine. We tried and failed to get on the WiFi site there so not being interested in the horse racing on the TV that absorbed all the other patrons we left and strolled back to camp. The proprietor came by about 7pm so we paid for 2 nights, bought 2 hours of internet time, and tokens for the washing machine and dryer.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |