Whimbrel Sailing Adventure travel blog

Rain approaching as we leave Cala de Algayerens, Menorca

and more rain as we arrive in Puerto de Pollensa, Mallorca...

We have now been living on the boat for just over a year and have had an amazing time, but we’ve decided to sell Whimbrel and move back to the UK. Having had no luck selling directly on the internet, we’ve listed her with an agent in Mallorca and so we need to get back there.

We had planned to visit Ciutadella on the west coast of Menorca first, but there were limited options for anchoring there with the wind direction forecast. Instead we sailed directly from Cala de Algayerens to Puerto de Pollensa in Mallorca, doing the same journey we’d done 10 days earlier, only in reverse.

There were a couple of differing weather updates – the Spanish one saying Beaufort Scale 4-5 and the Rome one saying Beaufort Scale 7 which is a near gale (up to 33 knots) – both forecasting rain, but as the wind was going to be mostly behind us, it should have been OK. In fact, the wind eventually got up to Beaufort Scale 8 (34-40 knots) which is a gale and the swell was up to 3 metres high, so it wasn’t a very comfortable crossing, even with both sails reefed!

The excitement continued even after we’d arrived and anchored in Puerto de Pollensa. Although sheltered from the swell, the wind was gusting to 40 knots and at dusk Jane spotted a four metre motor launch that hadn’t been there before – it had broken its mooring and was drifting towards us. We were both out on deck in the howling wind and pouring rain with fenders at the ready, but luckily it just missed Whimbrel. Francis did his good deed for the day by ringing the emergency services and they went and rescued it from out in the centre of the bay where it was still drifting.

A little later a windsurfer (board, not person) drifted towards us dragging a heavy rope and Francis had to jump in to stop it from going between the hulls and potentially causing damage. We took it on board to stop it drifting out to sea. The seaplane that’s based in Puerto de Pollensa managed to land in the bay, but then couldn’t make enough headway into the wind to get through the water and up the ramp onto land, so it eventually had to take off again and presumably go somewhere else for the night! The wind had died down a bit (to 20 knots) by the time darkness fell, so nothing else drifted towards us and we got a reasonable night’s sleep.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |