Checking the ditches travel blog

roadside pond

roadside waterfall

Crazy Creek

lonely riders

bridge into Revelstoke

Giant Cedars

enjoying the ambiance

a trains a comin'

Day eight – Albert Canyon – 109k

Rain showers had fell during the night but the morning broke with split cloud. After a breakfast of French toast, porridge and fresh fruit I set off towards Revelstoke. The road was wet.

We were getting back into the mountains again. The highway wound its way towards Revelstoke with ups and downs and lots of views.

The roadside waterfalls were noticed before one got to them by the drop in temperature. The cold water chilled the air around them. The water rushing down Crazy Creek was a sight to behold.

There was a group of riders that I would play leap frog with as we stopped for photos.

I got in to Revelstoke at noon.

There was a swarm of Tdc cyclists at the Tim Horton’s and with the normal push of people going to Tim’s for lunch it was one crowded place. When cyclists left for the road again most of them went back out onto highway one and didn’t go through the town. I went through town and found a CIBC outlet. They could not reactivate my convenience card that was cancelled. Had to get a new one. Oh well.

I caught up to the group I had been cycling with earlier. They were looking for the Giant Cedars Boardwalk. Although you need a park pass to view these things the attendant did not raise the alarm when we cycled in and stopped. While we were in the trees some other riders showed up.

It doesn’t take much to bond with another member or members of the group: a scene, an experience, a breakdown is all that is needed. When we came out of the trees Emilie and Justine were back with Patrick and sitting at a table near the bikes. Ron and the other guys got their bikes and headed off in the wrong direction. I stood and watched them go. Then I turned to get my bike and go in the opposite direction. I fell over a rock. Flat on my face. No hands; didn’t have to worry about breaking a wrist. Oh but my nose hurt.

My helmet took some of the face plant but my nose was right there too. I sat up and waited for the bleeding to start. I gently touched my nose, no blood. Emilie came up and sat in front of me to see if I was okay. So far so good. Your nose is red. Yeah, but my nose is usually red. And that is how we bonded. Now whenever I walk around camp, Emilie is watching to see what other tricks I will perform.

In the end my nose did not bleed. My dignity was somewhat messed up but that didn’t prevent me from cycling out of there. The guys might have been waiting for me but I went out and down the road. We met up a short while later when I stopped to watch a train come through a gap.

Our camp setup for that evening was at the Canyon Hot Springs. It was only a few k beyond the train spotting. Our total ks for the day was just shy of 110. I grabbed my camping bag and set up tent then grabbed some clothes and went off for a shower. In the evening most of the riders made use of the Hot Springs. Not me. The trip over the rock had gashed my left leg, leaving some open wounds. Not a hospitable thing to go to a common wash tub with open sores. I’ll wait till Banff for the Hot Springs.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |