The Madventures of Brendan and Wendy travel blog

After arriving in Belgrade airport we negotiated our way into the city on a terrifying local bus that dropped us nowhere near our hostel. Yay for Serbian public transport! After finally finding our hostel with the help of many Serbians, we checked in we did some research on things to do in Belgrade before heading into the city for a look around. That night we went out for a great steak dinner (it's not often we can afford red meat while backpacking).

The 2nd we got into the tourist spirit and started with a long free walking tour before heading to a local restaurant recommended by our guide, for a typical Serbian lunch of Rakia, milk cream cheese and cabbage wrapped pork mince. After our huge Serbian lunch we needed a siesta. That night we went out on the town with the walking tour guide. She took us to a couple of local bars where we saw (barely, through the smoke) the Serbians really getting into the traditional folk music before heading to the river where the party barges are.

The 3rd we had to change hostels as we had originally only booked two nights because we didn't think there would be much to do in Belgrade. After trekking for about 30 minutes we finally managed to hail a cab and find our new hostel. By this time it was late afternoon, so we grabbed a pizza and attempted to find a laundrette (unsuccessfully).

On the 4th we realised we REALLY needed to find a laundrette so we went to another hostel whose owners agreed to do our washing for us. However they didn't tell us their dryer was broken so we ended up with almost 10kg of wet washing strung around our room. That night we went to a night club on 'the beach' with the Brits staying at our hostel but came home early as we had to get to Novi Sad the next day.

Josh arrived in Belgrade in the early hours of the 5th so Brendan and I went and collected him from his hostel after he had had a bit of sleep. We went to the bus station and grabbed a bus to Novi Sad around midday. When we arrived we met a Serbian girl (Ene) who was volunteering at the festival and decided to camp with us. We spent the afternoon setting up camp and finding a hypermarket to buy chairs etc. That night there was a massive party at the EXIT campsite with two stages set up with House and Reggae.

The 6th we attempted to sleep in however the weather had changed from cool and comfortable to 40+ degrees. Once again we trekked into town to pick up more supplies as Hart and Tait were arriving that night. After the boys arrived we had another party, but I decided to have an early night as the festival was starting the next day.

EXIT festival started on the 7th at 10pm. Once again, it was too hot to sleep past 9am in our tents so we spent the day on 'the beach' attempting to keep cool. On the way into the festival Brendan and I had to stop to get our entry bands and unfortunately lost everyone else. Luckily everything we wanted to see that night was on the one stage so we spent the entire night dancing to Deadmau5, Joachim Garraud, James Zabuiela and Tiga before walking home as the sun was coming up.

The 8th to the 10th were more HOT days - the hottest days on record in Novi Sad. We spent our days swimming in the Danube and enjoying the cold water showers before heading to the festival around 10pm every night. Over the 3 nights we saw MIA, Santigold, Groove Armada, Jamiroquai, Digitalism and a number of other international acts.

The 11th we had to pack up camp and farewell our camping buddies to get a bus back to Belgrade. That afternoon and the next day were spent recovering.

The 13th we flew to Athens.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |