|Traveled from Kentucky into Indiana not knowing we were driving into harms way. It was a beautiful day with uneventful travel until we reached Indiana. I don't think we will ever travel through Indiana again if we can help it. The Interstate System is in terrible shape. I mean the worst we have driven on. Fortunately Florence, our GPS, routed us off the Interstate onto some beautiful backroads. We drove through towns such as Greensburg and Rushville.
I had been looking for a Wells Fargo Bank and believe it or not in the small town of Rushville, IN there was a branch. We stopped and took care of our banking....wow...sure wish the folks in Atlanta Wells Fargo would take lessons in customer service from the employees in Rushville!
As we left Russville we could see black clouds in the western sky. We were heading north towards I-70 which would take us east and away from these clouds. However, before we could get to I-70 we had some heavy rain and the sky got blacker. Finally, on to I-70 we left the rain behind us. We pulled into our campground in Richmond, IN.....it will be left unnamed....as it was the campground from hell! If the weather had not been so bad we would have never stayed but we really needed to get off the road. The people who ran it were really weird. He took us to our site and all around us were really old and empty trailers....rally spooky. The site was not level. As we looked around we decided not to even unhook.....we would be outta there in the morning!Fortunately we were able to get our satellite TV setup and called Direct TV and got the local channels. The first news we got was that a tornado had hit Greensburg, IN.....we were just there an hour before.....the whole area we had traveled was hit hard by a storm.....possibly from the black clouds we had seen. This was too close for comfort. The storms in Indiana were all pointed in our directions. The last storm that hit us about 1AM scared me so I huddled in the hall of the Airstream with Alba. It was hailing and raining and the wind blew....tho Tom says the wind was not anything like the weather guys said it would be. Now I know you asked why we didn't take shelter.....When Tom called and asked where the shelter was the host laughed at him and said there wouldn't be any tornado so don't worry about it! We could walk to the bathhouse if we wanted to but don't bring the truck!
This bathhouse was along ways from our site....can you imagine Tom and I carrying Alba and walking in the storm a quarter of a mile to the bathhouse....not going to happen! Well, any way, we survived yet another round of storms and tornadoes.....that's two now.
Thursday morning we moved to our favorite KOA in Dayton, OH. Wish we had gone there to start with....but.....they had golf ball sized hail.....glad we waited. This is an expensive KOA but oh so nice. After the campground from hell this was like being in haven.
More on trip Friday to northern Ohio.