|Since our windshield for the RV wasn’t in we decided to move just down the street about five miles from St. David to the town of Benson, AZ for about a week. It turned out to be one of those weeks we all have once in a while, the one that is nice to have behind you.
Mark started feeling sick with what we figured was a virus, and I won’t go into the details except to say he was pretty miserable. When his temperature reached 103.5 in addition to the rest of his symptoms we decided it was time to see a doctor. The problem was we were in a dinky town, they did have a walk in clinic at the hospital, but it closed for the day at four. The lady at the other end of the phone said we should come in to the ER, so that is what we did. Of course we were there for hours, but they got the symptoms toned down and were in the process of discharging Mark, when the Dr. came back into the room and said he didn’t like Mark’s EKG. The Dr. ordered a second one to see if it had changed, but it hadn’t. Mark had A-fib and was given a shot that would last for 12 hours to help calm that down. The town didn’t have a cardiologist except one that came once a week on Thurs. You guessed it, it was Thurs but it was now 10PM, long since he had left town for the week. We left the ER with instructions to call Mark’s Cardiologist in CA first thing in the morning. I did the driving today and that was the first I had driven since I tripped and hurt my shoulder about five weeks before, progress.
When Mark got sick Thurs. we called the windshield people and cancelled our Fri. installation appointment and made a new one for Mon. We then spent the weekend thinking about whether we should continue east as planned to TX, MO and IN and try to find a Cardiologist we could trust or to head back to CA and the doctors we know and trust. By Monday Mark was feeling better and we were off early to Sierra Vista with both the RV and car to get the new windshield installed. The weather was getting hotter by the day and the install was a many hour job when you include the glue drying time and we didn’t want to be trapped in the RV with no electricity for the AC in HOT weather. We dropped off the RV and went out to breakfast. It turns out that with the additional altitude of Sierra Vista they don’t get as hot, so we were able to hang out in the RV after all. We watched the process as they replaced the huge windshield, which turned out to be more complicated than I expected. The windshield would have cost just under $1600 if we hadn’t had insurance coverage on it. In the late afternoon we hooked the car up to the RV and headed back to Benson for the night with plans to leave the next day. There was a Boarder Patrol check point on the road back to Benson that we went through, about three miles further along the road we had a Boarder Patrol car come up behind us with his lights flashing…now what? Mark found a place large enough to pull over and the BP Officer came up to the door, he said that as we were pulling away from the check station they could smell the odor of burning brakes. I went out and determined that the Brake Buddy in the Flex was installed so the brakes were partly on [my bad], and boy did they smell HOT. I took the Buddy out of the system and we continued on our way, and were really grateful to the Boarder Patrol officer who went the extra mile before we had a brake fire.
By this time we had made the decision to head to CA as Mark needed to see his Cardiologist and I wanted him to see his eye surgeon as he is using his magnifying glass again. So Tue we head out planning a stop in Buckeye at the Ford dealer to have the brakes on the Flex checked out. For some reason it doesn’t stop as well as it use to. Oops… Tue arrived along with wind alerts for sustained winds of 25 – 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph, and warnings for high profile vehicles. One of the good things about this lifestyle is we can be flexible; we decided to leave Wed instead when hopefully the wind will have abated some.
Watch out CA here we come again,