Rick and Lisa Living our Dream travel blog

We watched the fishing boats coming in, they were lined up out...

See all the bags across the water on the dock, all full...

Headstones all in German

Another one. We saw three headstones all of children, all died around...

A ship going by our place.

Today we decided to go do some sight seeing in Port Lavaca. We also had to go to Walmart again, this time to get some of that goop you put in your bike tire tube to stop a leak, for some unknown reason, the tire was flat when he took it off the bike rack. He has the new bike, and he's the one getting the flat. He never had a flat on his old bike ever!

We drove through the bird sanctuary and the lighthouse park, it also has an RV Park; this is where we planned to stay originally but it was all booked up. The park is nice, it costs $3.00 a car for a day pass to enter. There are wooden boardwalks that circle the bay area and several long piers. There were quite a few families parked there and day picnickers spending time on the beach. It is Texas week here, so no one is in school. The RV park there is very tight, although the convenience of being in town would be nice,I prefer where we ended up for the week, now that we were able to make a comparison.

We went to the Calhoun County Museum, we wanted to find out where the Ghost Town of Indianola was and several old cemeteries that we were interested in visiting. The museum was small, but interesting.

Indianola was the gem of the west. The city, however, was destined to become a ghost town. Originally it was a camping site for the Karankawa Indians, then a landing site of one of the first Europeans to Matagorda Bay, La Salle; then a way station for German immigrants, to a town of thousands. Indianola's climb was a frantic race against time, although the residents were unaware it would come so soon.

The birth of Indianola was the direct result of economic, political, and religious problems in Germany. In 1846 the great German influx continued, during the year of 1847 the town acquired it's first post office, in 1849 the name changed from Indian Point to Indianola, keeping the first part of the original name and "ola" the Spanish word for wave. Because of the deep waters around Indianola, ships found it easier and less expensive than going into Lavaca which is full of reefs. Indianola became one of the largest ports in Texas, it was actually larger than Galveston the years 1869 and 1870.

Indianola was hit by two hurricanes, the 2nd worse than the first; one in 1875 and the other in 1886. In 1887 the county seat was turned over to Lavaca and Indianola passed into the realm of ghost town.

After leaving the museum, we went to Tropics Waterfront Grill and had an early dinner. The all day Wednesday special was 15 shrimp and fries for just $7.99. Rick ordered that along with a salad, and I ordered a fish and shrimp platter with veggies. The meal was good, and the view over the water was nice.

After dinner we went out and watched boat after boat come into the docks all carrying oysters! Gunny sack after gunny sack, we watched them unload for a while, what a job! Funny thing is we ask around for a good place for oysters on the 1/2 shell and supposedly no one serves them! Makes no sense to me? We will need to do further research on this.

On the way home from dinner we drove out to the Old Indianola Cemetery, many of the headstones were in German. It was like in the middle of no where, it wasn't dark so I wasn't scared, but I could've been pretty easily!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |