On the Road Again travel blog

We often have "popcorn suppers" if have a big lunch - here's...

Popcorn and a little TV in our little home on wheels

The paddleboat cruise boat came through again today

This was the best shot I could get of our bald eagle...

A sailboat passing through

I love how the colors of this Tri Colored Heron match the...

We walk by these open fields in the park - they remind...

A closer view of this Tri-colored Heron shows his white belly

We found this Snowy Egret on today's walk

And this Great Egret standing on the rocks - the difference is...

A cute cormorant sitting on a line

Beautiful tree filled with Spanish Moss in the park

A cormorant drying his wings

This Anhinga shows off his beautiful wings

A close up of the Anhinga's snake-like head

From Ortona Lock COE Campground in LaBelle, FL …

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yesterday we took Charlie to a health center in La Belle. He just went as a walk in, and it took three hours for him to see a doctor. But we were glad when the doctor confirmed that he has a strained muscle in his back and prescribed muscle relaxers. He is feeling some better now but looks forward to getting back to normal.

This was our first experience with having to see a doctor while on the road, and it went just fine. First Charlie checked the internet to find our list of approved providers in this area. He located plenty of doctors to choose from even in a town of this size. The health center accepted our insurance without any problems, as did the pharmacy where we had his prescription filled.

After leaving the doctor’s office, we went to Flora and Ella’s for a good lunch. This restaurant which has been in business since 1933, is considered one of the best Old Florida restaurants around. They are known for their large selection of homemade pies, so of course we just had to take some pie home for later.

While Charlie was waiting to see the doctor, I drove over to LaBelle Woods RV Resort to check it out. The nice guy who runs the park drove me around in his golf cart and showed me which sites were available for Saturday night. I found one I thought would work ok for us, so later I returned with Charlie and showed it to him. Then I went in and reserved it for one night on Saturday. On Sunday we will move on to a new campground in Alva which is about 20 miles west of LaBelle. Like last year, I think we still enjoy changing campgrounds every couple of weeks. But we have really enjoyed our time at Ortona. Even more so than last year which is probably due to the warmer weather. : )

This morning we had to empty our tanks using our sewer tote. Since this is a pretty labor intensive task, I helped out as much as I could. After Charlie drained some of our tanks into the tote, we hooked it up the truck and towed it to the dump station. This is the first time we’ve had to use the tote since we were in Florida last year. Due to our holding tank capacity, we can go 8 to 10 days before having to empty our tanks.

Although today started out with some heavy fog, it was eventually burned off by some nice sunshine and warm temps in the low 80s. Now this is what I call January in south Florida! After we enjoyed our lunch of fish sandwiches outside on the patio, we both took a nice walk around the park.

Tonight we drove into La Belle to mail a letter and get some supper. We had a nice dinner at Beef o Brady’s. This was the first time we had eaten at this chain restaurant, and the food was decent. Charlie had a shrimp and cod basket, and I had a grilled chicken salad.

Tonight we are just relaxing in the comfort of our little home on wheels.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |