Ed & Marilyn 'The Happy Wanderers' travel blog

Approaching Kusadasi





Mary's House



Prayers on the wall at Mary's home


Ruins of Ephasus





Once a city of 250,000






















Grave of St John
















After dinner last night, Marilyn & I returned to the cabin and were in bed by 10:45 PM.

We sailed all night and the gentle rocking of the ship made for a good night of sleep.

We awoke to an awareness that it felt pretty cool, and it wasn’t just the A/C running.

As we approached the Turkish port of Kusadasi, near Ephasus, it became obvious that we were in a very beautiful and modern port city.

I opened the door to the balcony and it was only in the 50’s, which meant that a jacket would accompany us on our tour today.

Marilyn & I enjoyed a full breakfast at the buffet and then, after a short trip back to the cabin, made our way to the Cabaret Theater, and waited for clearance to go ashore.

Bill & Shelly joined us and we were directed to the waiting tour bus.

We had a nice guide called Izzy and he was very informative, being a historian and an archeologist.

He explained that Turkey is an friend and NATO partner of the USA and assured us that we were very safe in his country.

Our first stop was at the home of the Virgin Mary, which had a feeling of peacefulness about it.

We next took a walking tour of the ruins of the ancient city of Ephasus, which was once a huge and important city, stretching about 7 kilometers from one end to the other, and was home to some 200,000 to 300,000 people.

We followed the huge crowds of people as we walked around this awesome place, taking time to walk up the steps to the huge theater where St Paul and St John once preached.

We were not allowed to take pictures inside Mary’s home nor inside any of the religious places we visited but outside photography was no problem so we will have pictures to post for you once we get home.

Our next stop was at the Monastery of St John and the grave where he was buried.

We stopped at a beautiful hotel where we were treated to a fine meal while a group of folk dancers entertained us.

After that fine meal we boarded the bus for a ride to the port bazaar area where we were given a demonstration of how the famous Turkish carpets are made, sometimes taking as long as two years to complete just one carpet.

After we left the carpet store we wandered through the bazaar and returned to the ship for a nap.

I must say that this visit to Turkey surprised me because the country we saw was absolutely beautiful, the towns were very neat and clean, and we enjoyed today very much.

For sure…………………………Life is Good!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |