Trekking with Daisy 2009-10 travel blog

Susanna Dickinson House - Virginia, Ginger and Inge

Susanna Dickinson House - Kitchen at Rear of House

Susanna Dickinson House - Portrait of Susanna

Susanna Dickinson House - Bed Made at Husband's Furniture Factory

Susanna Dickinson House - Chest Made at Husband's Furniture Factory

O Henry Museum - House Where He Lived for Three Years

O Henry Museum - Front Porch

Java Jive - Dragons on Ceiling

Java Jive - Light Fixtures

Today Virginia, Ginger, Inge, Lucille and I met at the Senior Center for lunch. We sat at a table with Dorothy. It was good to see her again. Ginger, Inge and Lucille all joined the Senior Center today.

After lunch all of us except Lucille went downtown to visit the O. Henry Museum ( and Susanna Dickinson House Museum ( where we had very interesting tours. The museums are next door to each other. Lucille was unable to go with us because she had too many errands to run.

O. Henry was born William Sidney Porter on September 11, 1862, near Greensboro, North Carolina. He moved to Texas in 1882. He first settled in Cotulla (near San Antonio), where he worked on a ranch as a sheep herder. He moved to Austin in 1884. There he met Athol Estes Roach and they were married in 1887. That same year, he got a job as a draftsman at the Texas General Land Office, where he worked for four years. In 1891 he was hired as a teller at the First National Bank of Austin. In 1894 a federal banking examiner discovered inconsistencies in Porter's bank records and he was convicted of embezzlement and was sent to prison in 1898. During his years in prison he began using the pen name, O. Henry and he became successful as a writer.

The Susanna Dickinson Museum is in the 1869 home of Joseph and Susanna Dickinson Hannig. Joseph Hannig built this home for his new wife, Susanna Dickinson. She survived the Battle of the Alamo, and carried the news of its fall to Sam Houston, which ultimately led to Houston's defeat of Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto and won independence for the Republic of Texas. For this deed Susanna Dickinson became known as the "Messenger of the Alamo." Her home was opened as a museum on March 2, 2010, Texas Independence Day.

After our museum visits we stopped in at Java Jive across the street for ice cream or coffees. We had a good time.

When I got back home, I went over to Val’s rig to visit her a little while and to make plans for our dinner tomorrow. It’s good to have her back home.

Tonight I had a rather large packet of mail to sort through.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |