|After leaving Capilano Bridge, we headed down the freeway for a few miles to get a better view of Vancouver. A taxi driver recommended Cypress Provincial Park, high above the city, as a good spot. The air was a bit hazy so the view wasn't as clear as it might have been, but it was still neat up there just the same. We spent about a half hour just enjoying looking across at Stanley Park, the Lions Gate Bridge and even the Port Mann Bridge that we have crossed several times this past week!
We stayed a bit longer than we should have and got stuck in Friday afternoon traffic heading home. Took an extra 45 minutes and we were a few minutes late arriving at Jackie and Sal's. The story of our lives! And we have been really working at arriving where we are supposed to be in a timely manner. Turned out to be a godsend. We spent a few minutes catching up and then got a tour of their new home. Wow, it is a beautiful place. Even has a work-out room and a dance floor to practice their ballroom dancing. They are competing around the country and have won many trophies and awards. We enjoyed watching a DVD of a dance (a tango) performed in Hawaii that won them first place in the solo competition. Congratulations guys, well done!
The kids were flying in a little later, so we had plans to go out for dinner. As we were leaving they noticed a faint unusual smell. It seemed to be getting worse and smelled like smoke. With my crummy sense of smell I wasn't any help, but the three of them were on a hunt for the origination of the smoke. They just couldn't find anything, although it seemed to be worse in the furnace room. Sal finally decided they should call the fire dept. So, we waited...not for long though. Three trucks arrived with sirens wailing and I don't know how many, perhaps 10 firemen stormed the house. By then smoke was coming out of the vent in the hall near the front door. The top floor has 2500 sq ft and the basement is another 2500 sq ft. Since the smoke was coming from the vent it appeared to be downstairs.
After much searching they discovered that the fire was actually out a door under the outside patio. The painters had been there recently and left paper stuffed up in the can lights. When Sal turned on the lights during our tour the paper caught fire and totally burned to ashes. In the meantime, the air return sucked the smoke into the house and through the vents. Could have turned into a much bigger deal easily. But fortunately, it wasn't anything earth shattering. Because there was fire (and plenty of smoke) there won't be a charge for the fire dept. rolling. And I must say we were very impressed with the professionalism of every fireman there! They were great. Nice guys!
After airing things out a bit, we headed to a different restaurant than originally planned, but it was a great choice none-the-less. A Greek restaurant with the best halibut ever! The kids arrived about 10pm and were filled in on all the excitement. But I'll leave those pics for tomorrow. Goodnight...