|Depart: Sheiki, Azerbaijan
Arrive: Qobustan, Azerbaijan
Overnight: Bush camp
- A pretty uneventful drive day until we arrived in Qobustan - just 60km from Baku. To see the mud volcanoes we had to drive offroad which meant an opportunity to sit in the truck's roof seats! It was bumpy, but we got a great view.
- Before that - we had hit the best roads we had seen probably since Istanbul - that's what petrodollars can buy you!
- We followed a rather sketchy map off road and navigated using pylons. After a but of tooing and froing we finally found them. They are pretty cool - bubbling pools of grey mud with occasional eruptions - one of them was a big as a small swimming pool. Although it's not a good idea to take a dip as some of them are 300m deep!
- We were the only tourists there and the surrounding area seemed ideal for a bush camp so we spent the night there.
- It was Joyce and I's first night as cook group and our chicken curry went down well. I'm pleased that I managed to cook such large quantity of rice without cocking it up! ;o)