We spent our first day in Ajo watching on television the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States of America. It was an amazing day.
Some things we will remember from that day:
• The making of history as President Obama was sworn in as the first African-American President.
• The size and enthusiasm of the crowd estimated to be around two million people. We heard later that there was no arrest or incidents of any sort. Also the level of interest/crowds around the world watching the inauguration.
• President Obama’s powerful inauguration speech with its multiple and far reaching messages to America and the world.
• The joy and confidence of Sasha and Malia, President Obama’s children.
• The multicultural nature of the various events during the day.
Maybe this is a new beginning for America. We will watch with interest in the days ahead.