Ed & Marilyn 'The Happy Wanderers' travel blog

Ed's chicken soup

Heading out for a hike

Marilyn is ready

Looking back toward the Cave


The woods

Heading up a hill

Look at this twisted tree

Ed talking to Gordon

Location of old cemetery

Down the trail

The only legible headstone

Most of the markers look like this

Path goes down the hill

Looking back up the hill

Look at this tree

And this one

Yesterday we had another awesome day here in Hannibal. Marilyn & I had our morning coffee indoors but were soon outside enjoying the warm sunshine. We decided to go for a hike in the woods which surround us. I wanted to show Marilyn an old cemetery which dates back to the early to mid 1800's.

Our hike began by walking up a steep path toward the top of a hill where the Mt Olivet cemetery is located. That is the cemetery where Joe Douglas is buried. Joe is better known as "Injun Joe" from Mark Twains book "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer". Samuel Clemens' parents are also buried there.

Reaching the top of the hill and the back side of Mt Olivet cemetery, we turned north and followed a path through the woods to an old unnamed cemetery which sits over the Cameron Cave.

Marilyn & I found an old headstone and worked at trying to read the inscription. It says something about John & Mary Sullivan from a certain county in Ireland, and then gives the names of two sons. John, who died in January of 1858, at the age of six months. Also listed on the stone is Edmund, who died on Jan 31, 1859, at the age of four.

Marilyn & I located some other graves, which had not been previously marked, and found the remains of several headstones but found no pieces large enough to read.

While we were exploring this old cemetery, my cell phone rang and it was Gordon & Juanita calling from Port Orford, Oregon. These good friends called just to say hello and to ask how things were going.

We had a nice visit with our friends who are wending their way to Alaska this summer, and then decided to continue our hike down the back side of the hill so that I could show Marilyn where the old entrance to Cameron Cave is located. We didn't see any wildlife but could plainly hear the wild turkeys gobble, calling back and forth, on the hillside across from us.

We kept a look out for mushrooms as we hiked along, but found none. We need a few more days of warm weather I think.

We also kept our eyes open for snakes as we have a fair population of copper head snakes in this area. All we found were three ticks which had decided to ride on Marilyn's clothing. We inspected each other for others but found no more hitch hikers.

As we made our way back to the campground we saw that there were several busses in the parking lot. I stopped to ask if they needed me and they were glad I was back.

I grabbed my jacket and my flashlight, then walked over to give a tour to 25 high school students from Georgia. None had ever been to Hannibal before and they were really interested in the Mark Twain Cave. They were a fine group of young people and we all had a good time.

As I finished the tour, Marilyn was leaving to drive out to visit Jennifer and Colby.

I spent the remainder of the afternoon taking care of things around the RV. I dumped the holding tanks and straightened up some of the things in our basement storage area.

I also turned on the Cardinal ball game and was delighted that they were leading by a score of 3-1. I watched for a few minutes as the Milwaukee Brewers tied the score, and finally won in the 10th inning. Bummer!

I was just about to begin preparing dinner of pasta, salad, and wine, so that I would have everything done for Marilyn when she got back home. Suddenly the phone rang and I assumed it was Marilyn telling me she was starting home. Great, I thought, I can start dinner. Well, it was Marilyn but she was telling me that she had locked both sets of her car keys in the Van. Bummer!

I located my set of keys for the Van, grabbed my cowboy hat, jumped in my trusty Ford diesel truck, turned Willie Nelson on the stereo, and headed down the highway, north and west. I had the sunroof open and enjoyed the drive.

Once I arrived at Jen's house, I was in time to feed Colby. Great! He is so cute! I enjoy listening to him coo and make those little sounds of contentment as he drinks his formula.

By the time Marilyn & I were back home we weren't hungry for a big meal so we had a salad and some left overs while watching "Survivor".

I ended up going to bed around 9:30 and read until my eyelids kept slamming shut.

It was just another day in the life we enjoy so much. We had a good time yesterday and look forward to more unknown adventure today. You know what I always say, I just can't wait to see what this day has in store.....

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |