Lucy and Steves BIG ADVENTURE travel blog

A view of Wellington from the Botanical gardens.

Stop posing for the camara and paddle.

Marborough Sound. Home for the night.

Freshly picked mussels.

Come on Steve, give me a hug!!!!

Franz Josef Glacier.

Lucy of the 'Antarctic'

I ho, I ho it's off to work we go!!!!

Pick your own!

The Southern Alps.

The New Year came and went without much fuss. We were staying in Wellington and decided to go out for a few drinks. We ended up in Civic Square (City Centre) to welcome in the new year. We were a little disappointed with the entertainment provided so Lucy decided to write a letter to the local council when we got back to our room (a decision clearly influenced by the amount she had drank one thinks!)

On January 2nd we caught the ferry to Picton in the South Island. We picked up a car in the ferry terminal and decided to stay for a couple of days. We decided to have a go at kayaking. We chose to take part in a two day trip that provided us with a guide on the first day and then allowed us to kayak back on our own the second. The sea kayak was about 5m long and carried all our supplies for the two days with ease. Lucy took the front and Steve the back. The kayak was so big it even had a rudder!!! The first morning the weather was fantastic and we had a really chilled paddle around Marlborough Sound. In the afternoon our guide left us to explore on our own. We found a lovely little beach and set up camp. The local area was covered in mussels, so we picked a few and had them for tea.

The next morning the weather was completely different to the first. We had wind and a bit of rain that made the kayaking a bit more difficult. We arrived back to Picton in one piece and Lucy was so pleased with her exploits that she is now considering entering the Devizes to Westminster canoe race! (100 miles plus).

We left Picton and travelled onto Abel Tansman, a National Park famous for its scenery. It certainly didn't disappoint. We booked ourself on a water taxi to take us to part of the famous 3/4 day walking track. You catch the boat on dry land which is then towed by a tractor to the sea. We walked the 11km in about three hours and then chilled out on the beach waiting for the water taxi to pick us up.

Since leaving Wellington we have been staying in the tent. At the moment the record stands at 6 consecutive nights. A target we were hoping to beat!! However, after Abel Tasman we had to drive to the glacier at Franz Josef a fair few miles away. It rained all day giving Steve the excuse of suggesting we stay in a motel for the night. It didn't take long for Lucy to agree. So we booked ourselves into a small place that used to be the maternity ward of an old hospital (it still had that sterile smell). The motel was some 15 minutes drive from the glacier.

The next morning we travelled into Franz Josef to take part in a glacier walk that we booked the prevoius day. We were kitted out with all the gear and headed off to the ice. The scenery so far on this trip has been second to none and Franz Josef Glacier was equally fantastic.

Our journey continues down the west coast, next stop Wanaka, Queenstown and Milford Sound.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |