ANNE and TASH'S TRIP travel blog

Here is our home for seven nights.

TGV window

Route map TGV

Venice of the North Bruges

French Lunches

Frank and Pierce in Egypt 1915

TGV at Montparnasse station

Eurostar and Thalys

During our week in Paris, Tashie wanted to visit Versailles. I believe some had been restored lately.

I hoped to find the graves of two of my great uncles, who were killed in WW1, on the Somme. The Army Museum have kindly helped me find the location of their graves. I wanted to take a little Australian flag, a French flag and a gum leaf from the bush near Perth, and place them upon their resting place.

Their names were Francis and Pierce McEncroe, and both died about their twenty first birthday. They were survivors at Gallipoli, but fell in some of the worst blood-letting of the Australian army.

* * *

Our hotel was in the Latin Quater, in Rue des Ecoles, and we renewed old acquaintances and developed new ones from our previous stays in Paris. The room was small, but very clean. We both left with bruises from bumping into open windows or cupboards. The people were friendly. We had just the one meal there, on arrival, but found cheaper and more interesting venues in various locations around the city.

We passed the Sorbonne every day as we went out and came home from the day's activities. We walked to the sights around us, being only a few metres from the Seine and Notre Dame. We visited the Pantheon and the Jardin de Luxembourg. It was becoming a bit hotter each day, though the Spring flowers proliferated throughout the local gardens.

As to the Internet access, we purchased cards, to the value of ten euros from the desk in the foyer of our hotel. They came with an access code. This worked superbly in the short term and we bought several for future use during our weeks in France. They were with the Orange network. Although we tried, we could not locate another outlet to purchase them. I did question the man behind the desk, Claude, at one stage, to ask why he entered the value of the cards into his accounts, even though I was paying up front. I should have been more forceful as it turned out, in following my line of enquiry. He maintained he had to enter them to show where my money came from in the "till." I felt this was a justifiable reason and continued to buy up the cards. By the time I left, I had paid fifty euros for them. I did not begrudge the money-our computer was our lifeline.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |