Somewhere in Asia travel blog

We passed many clam stands on our way

River crossing from Malaysia to Brunei

Another flat - it is extremely hot when you stop

Clearing fields for padi

Malaysia's obsession with weed-eaters

Border town - soccer field

Lawas - pork market


chopping action

where kopi is made

First thing in the morning, we headed to the immigration office located in Limbang to get stamped out of Malaysia, even though the actual border was quite a distance away. The morning was foggy, and the water village along the river looked stunning. The first part of the ride was very green, and we passed many little villages. It happened to be garbage day. The smell of garbage was in the air, with some garbage juice spilling onto the road. The garbage men were carefully sifting through each garbage bin before loading it into the truck. Along the 25km long stretch of road to the Brunei border, we passed many stands selling nothing, but pineapples and clams. There were many, large piles of clam shells. At this time in the morning there was no one looking after the food stalls, but they all left carefully arranged clam-piles for us to see


We continued our ride, going past green padi fields and more colourful villages until we reached the ferry crossing into Brunei

. We stopped briefly on the other side to get our stamp into Brunei before continuing on our way. The town of Bangar was just 5km away. Bangar is quite small with just a few rows of small buildings housing restaurants, shops and a bank. We didn't have many Brunei dollars left, but luckily a very friendly bank teller exchanged some ringgit we had with us, in a nearby alley. After some eats we headed back on the road. We didn't get far before I got another flat. It was scorching hot at that point, and the only shelter we could find was a high voltage power station, luckily it didn't look operational


There was about a 5km stretch of gravel road starting at the Malaysian border. After we hit pavement again, it started to rain heavily. We sought cover under a bus shelter. Foolishly, I decided to head out as soon as the rain became a drizzle. Few minutes later we were totally soaked by a heavy downpour. There was only one thing to do - continue moving until we hit Lawas. We would most definitely get cold if we stopped. On the bright side of things, we did get to use our rain-jackets again (its nice to be able to justify all the weight you're lugging around once in a while).

Dripping wet, we arrived in Lawas, and spend most of the evening organizing clothes lines, unpacking absolutely everything (something we haven't done in a while), and stuffing our shoes with newspapers. By the time we headed out to seek some dinner, it was still raining heavily. Undeterred, we navigated many rain puddles in the dark, in search if some cendol. Very few businesses were open, and the streets were totally deserted, except for a few groups of kids on bikes (really cool).

We decided to spend another night in Lawas. Our clothes were still wet, and the town looked alive in the morning. We walked around town all day. Unlike other river towns we've seen, Lawas does not seem to fully utilize its riverfornt. The building housing the Muslim food market is situated on the river. A little ways away you'll find a separate building designated for pork


Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |