Over the Hills and Far Away travel blog

The Chaos Outside our Hotel Room in Nairobi

A Baby Rhino at the David Sheldwick Elephant Orphanage

Feeding the Baby Rhino!

More Elephants Ready to Play

Feeding the Elephants Some Milk

Still Hungry!


Queens Tennis, London

Raphel Nadal on Serve at Queens

Nadal in Fine Form

Andy Roddick on the Return of Serve

Roddick Contimplating His Serve

Leicester Square, London

Steve Watching the Queens Tennis Tournament in Greg's Livingroom

Breakfast With Friends Terri, Sean and Their Little Baby Kelly in Southend-On-Sea

Visiting Sally (a friend we met in Africa) in England - A...

Tara and Sally at Her Family Home Outside of Chelmsford, Essex

Saying 'FAREWELL' to England and The End of Our Fabulous 9 Month...

Tara and I spent our last few days in Africa in Nairobi, Kenya. We treated ourselves to a few nights in some luxury accommodation. When you pay a little extra they give you satelite TV which was great as the French Open (tennis) was on and one would not want to miss such an important sporting event. We also did a lot of souvenier shopping in Nairobi and I think we visited nearly every souvenier shop in the city. Tara wanted to be sure that their was not any item in the city that she had not seen! I actually do not mind souvenier shopping but I have discovered that Tara enjoys that experience much more than me...as I often had to drag her out of shops. I think that we bought more than enough soveniers over our last few days in Nairobi, however Tara might disagree.

Also, when we were in Nairobi we went to an elephant orphanage that borders on Nairobi National Park. Many of the elephants there have been orphaned due to illegal poaching. Elephants that are under the age of two would die if they were not looked after by the orphange - as they need their mother's milk until they are about two years old. To rectify this problem the orphange had developed a formula that can be fed to the elephant in what looks like a very large baby bottle. The people who work in the orphange basically become part of the elephant's family and they even sleep with them at night. The baby elephants come to depend on them like they would their own mothers. Eventually, the elephants are released slowly back into the wild where the hope is that they will be accepted into the wild elephant herd - which has yeilded great results. It was a facinating place to visit and we learned a lot about elephants in the process. This was our last 'touristy' event before leaving Nairobi and our 'African experience' behind.

We flew to London, England on June 7th. We stayed our first night in London with our friend Kylie, whom we had met on our overland tour in Africa. The following day we went to Colchester, Essex where we stayed with our friend Greg and his new fiance, Sally. It was great to spend some time with him and Sally. Greg and I got the chance to play tennis a few times at his tennis club. Greg was the one that got me into tennis in the first place and I got some free coaching (he gave me some pointers to improve my topspin backhand). Tara also saw some of her old teacher friends in Southend-on-Sea (where we used to live). She spent a few nights at her friend Tasha's place and enjoyed catching up with everyone again. She even helped them out in their classes for a couple of days. She enjoyed that - I think she was breaking herself in gently for September!! I however spent some time trying to organize our photos and watch tennis on TV. The Queen's tournament was on in London while we were there. This is basically a warm up tournament for Wimbeldon. I even went into London for the day and got seats on center court. For you tennis fans I got to see Tim Henman, Rafal Nadal, and Andy Roddick play. I had a great day. On the way home I stopped at Leicester Square for someting to eat and got back on the tube at Piccadilly Circus. This is bascially the heart of London and I could not pass it on the tube without checking it out for old times sake. While in England we were able to meet up with some friends from our England days which was great.

On June 19 (yesterday) we flew home to Canada. It was a long day as we had to take the train into London and across the city on the tube to Heathrow Airport. Heathrow is one of the busiest airports in the world and it certainly lived up to it's reputation that day. The lines to check in were huge and then we had to wait in an equally huge line to clear customs. Luckily, we did make it on the plane just in time and we arrived back in Canada (Montreal) to see the smiling faces of my mom and dad waiting for us as we came out of the arrivals gate! Not surprisingly our first stop as a matter of priority was Tim Hortons! It had been a long time since I had seen my old friend Timmy. My dad is also one of Tim's biggest fans, although he became an even bigger fan recently when he won a huge 50" plasma TV on a 'role up the rim to win' cup!! We are currently staying at my parents house in Ottawa and we are looking forward to seeing the rest of our friends and family in the weeks to come.

Tara and I have had an amazing 9 months away, but we must admit that it is good to be home again! We would like to thank everyone for your emails along the way. It was certainly nice hearing from you and keeping us updated while we were gone. I guess this is it - our last update done!!! We would like to end with a quote:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away" - anonymous

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |