Today when I tried to access my MasterCard account to print my current statement, I made the unnerving discovery that I could not access it. I had to go Bank of America’s Fraud Prevention department to resolve the problem. I learned that someone at www.oscent.com from Singapore had attempted to charge $499.96 to my account. Yikes! The charge was declined, thank God. I hope there aren’t any others. The agent closed the account for me and then transferred me to Customer Service so I could request that a printed copy of the closing statement be sent to me at Lake Texoma.
Because of all this, I will have to notify all the organizations that I had authorized to make automatic charges to my account. Such a hassle! This costs us all – including the scammers themselves.