With Winnie repaired we left Two River to go UP - the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After passing through Green Bay, WI we left the interstate and followed US 41 and WI Highway 35 along the coast of Lake Michigan. Once we crossed the Menominee River at Marinette, WI/Menominee, MI we entered the Upper Peninsula and jumped back into the Eastern Time Zone with the rest of Michigan. In Escanaba, MI we joined US 2. We did the stretch of US 2 from Escanaba east to St. Ignace at the Straits of Mackinac in 2014 on the "The Great Circle Tour". This trip we stopped in Manistique at the Manistique Lakeshore Campground. It's located right on the shore of Lake Michigan. Our site is one roe off the lake with a view when no one is in the lakeshore sites. We were originally scheduled to arrive on 7/22, but the repair stop in Two Rivers cut the stay short. Since we had to pay for the entire 6-day stay when we made the reservations in early May and didn't cancel the reservation before 7 days, we could not get a refund for the days we didn't use. The campground is owned by the City so I went to City Hall today to see if I could get a refund because of the extenuating circumstances. I met the City Manager and the Mayor and they were very sympathetic, but also firm that the City did not give refunds for reservations canceled less than 7 days before the arrival date. Most privately run campground will cancel a reservation with no penalty with a 24 or 48-hour notice. Even State Parks allow cancelations with a small cancelation charge right up before arrival. It's a shame we weren't able to stay the entire time because it's a nice, new campground with concrete pads, fire pits, and full hook-ups (even cable TV).
After checking in, I went out to grab some shots of the lakefront and the lighthouse at the entrance to the Manistique River. A storm front was passing through the area and provided some pretty dramatic skies as background. I walked out the breakwater almost all the way to the lighthouse before I decided I needed to turn around before it started to rain. By the time I got back to the shore it was drizzling and the clouds opened up just after I got back to Winnie. It rained overnight and most of today and has really cooled down into the low 60's. We are staying here one more night, but have to move to a different site. Saturday morning we're headed further north into the UP. Stay tuned.