Carol-IvanTravels travel blog

Ivan & me with our hostess, my lifelong girl friend, Carol Ann...

Peggy Cummings and I taught in Elmira back in the late 1960s!

My sister Barb Stork helping to open a bottle of Finger Lakes...

Us with Barb's husband, Chod Stork

Spotted this woodpecker at Carol Ann's feeder in Bath

Carol Ann with my niece (visiting from Ohio), Brianna Luszcak

Barb drove us to pretty Hammondsport at the south end of Keuka...

Fall colors are holding pretty well though it is late October


We stopped to see the exclusive Esperanza Mansion on the Bluff in...

Decorated home of our dear friends, Milt and Roxanne von Hagn

The Toyota Rav 4 we rented for the drive from Elmira, NY...

The weather turned rainy on the 23rd but it didn't dampen our spirits or our fun. On the 23rd I had brunch with a good friend with whom I had taught in Elmira, NY, in the late 1960s. She always treats me to a meal out when I get home and we visit up a storm over many cups of coffee.

My sister Barb has been able to join us for supper and lunch a couple of times plus chauffeur us around to see charming Hammondsport, the town recently voted the "coolest little city in America!" and more of Keuka Lake. We've been working together to coordinate the upcoming visit of our niece Brianna Luszcak and her boy friend Ed, both from Erie, PA.

They'll come on the 27th and stay through church on the 28th. So looking forward to seeing them both! Had a fun morning coffee visit with Chod, my brother-in-law; neat and fun guy! Had a lovely visit and dinner with more vonHagn family in Elmira on the 25th.

About Thursday, the 25th, we began to hear about Hurricane Sandy and how she was combining with another storm to be a mega-storm that would travel up the East Coast and veer inland just about the day (Mon., the 29th) we are due to take the 11:00 p.m. Amtrak from Rochester to Chicago. We HOPE we can take that train but severe winds and rain are predicted and they may cause a cancellation. We keep watching weather news and Amtrak alerts as the 29th gets closer. Could be a major upset to our plans for visiting Iowa family and friends...

(Turns out Amtrak remained cancelled until Wed. Oct. 31. When we called to make new reservations there were no roommettes left and we didn't think we could sit up in Coach all night and then drive most of the next day. Consequently, we made reservations with Hertz at the Elmira airport for a car to drive to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to visit Ivan's family and friends.)

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |