Our drive from Kippens to Doyles was 85 miles is some still very strong winds left over from Earl, I guess, though the winds are frequently strong in this area without a storm. One 20 km section they have very large signs warning drivers with campers and trailer to be cautious as the winds are sometimes gusting to 200 kph. As we were leaving the Port au Port Peninsula driving along the shoreline I had the wheel cocked almost 45° to keep us going straight! We also managed to fill up the Mothership just before arriving at the campground at 1.101 per Liter or 4.158 per gallon and we only needed 226.249 L for a 250.91 fill up. Another big OUCH!! The Canadian dollar is almost equal to the US dollar so I don't convert that any more.
We are staying at the Grand Codroy RV/Tent Camping Park which is the same place we stayed our first night in Newfoundland. We had a better pick of the sites this time so we have a much larger site that is really nice, though still a bit windy. We have 30 amp full hookups, good WiFi, and minimal cell service. We will be here three nights before catching the ferry back to Nova Scotia on Wednesday. The campground is less than 50% occupied right now even though Monday is Labour Day in Canada as well as in the US, but that will change Tuesday when a 26 RV caravan comes in. It appears they are taking the same ferry we are. I think that is the last caravan in Newfoundland.
Monday we went for a ride along the coast. We went West through the Codroy Valley, to Cape Anguille until we ran out of road, then went down to Port aux Basque to check our route to get on the ferry. We then went East along the coast until we ran out of road at Rose Blanche. It was all very picturesque, especially the small villages along the coast. In all we travelled 132 miles and it took about five hours. We then tried to eat at a couple of local restaurants only to find them open six days a week with the one day being closed - yep, you guessed it, Monday!!!
Tuesday was spent getting ready for the ferry ride and a little maintenance on the Mothership. We will leave the campground about 8:30-9:00 tomorrow morning to catch the 12:45 ferry. We are supposed to arrive in Nova Scotia about 6:15 tomorrow evening if all goes well. I am not sure if I will have WiFi tomorrow night or Pictou, NS the following two nights so those entries may have to wait until we reach PEI on Saturday.